Lovosice (Czech Republic)
The town of Lovosice, 9.000 inhabitants, has been twinned with Coswig since 1998.
Lovosice was mentioned for the first time in 1143. Emperor Rudolf II promoted the village to the status of a town in 1600. In 1756, the town was the site of a major battle between Prussia and the Austrian empire, the Battle of Lobositz.
Due to its favourous situation with a river port, motorway and the railway Prague-Dresden, Lovosice made good economic progress in the 19th and 20th centuries. The nice and lively town is also a favorite starting point for discoveries in Northern Bohemia.
Many small and quiet roads along the rivers or over the mountains offer never-ending bicycle trips. Hiking paths start right from where the town ends and lead to romantic castles and ruins, breath-taking viewpoints or even nice wine-growing estates. And for yachts and kajaks, there is a little marina in the very heart of the town.
Coswig and Ravensburg have been twin towns since 1990. The former Free Imperial City of Ravensburg is located in the Upper Swabian valley of Schussental not far from Lake Constance.
Ravensburg was granted its town charter as far back as the 12th century, as a little market town.
Visitors enjoy a picturesque view of the town from its mediaeval towers and gates, the still partially preserved town walls, the town hall, built in 1386, and Veitsburg Castle, which is today used as a youth hostel. At the same time, the Old Town, with its Southern ambience, also reflects a time-honoured tradition of trading, crafts, services and industry. With a population of 50,000, today the town is well-known as a central location for shopping and services, universities and educational institutions, and media and commerce.
Cultural centres such as the museum in the late mediaeval Humpis-Quartier or the modern art museum attract visitors, as does the five-day midsummer town festival focusing on schoolchildren and known as the Rutenfest, climaxing in a historical parade through the Old Town with 5,500 people.